Wednesday, May 18, 2011

t-minus 2 days

HELLO WORLD!  It's Wednesday, and I leave for Uganda on Friday.  Pretty crazy, yeah?  My bedroom and the music room are total messes at the moment; piles of clothes and other odd objects lying around.  Somehow I have to consolidate all of those into two groups: staying at home or coming with me to Africa.  Blergh.

Things are ramping up in terms of prep work for Friday--Dr. Peterson, the African Studies professor at UM who is spearheading this project, has been frantically working last-minute to have a laptop and scanner shipped to my house so that I can take them to Fort Portal.  Looks like my job for the first month will be to instruct the students/volunteers/whoever on digitization, teaching them how to use the equipment and the software (I'm pretty stoked; I convinced Dr. Peterson that we needed Adobe Acrobat X, and I'll also be downloading Archon, an open-source archival software program).  Tonight is going to be spent hanging out with Jason--brother from another mother--setting the laptop up, and hurriedly trying to get clothes washed and things in bags.  I'm a bit nervous, as the scanner hasn't arrived yet, but I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow...not sure what I'll do if it doesn't.

In other news:  Most of you guys reading this probably already know, but I've been hired as a short-term consultant for the World Bank, and they will be paying me the nice figure of $2000!  That's a pretty bomb amount for an archivist who has had two unpaid internships and other low-paying jobs.  I'll be reporting to the Chief Archivist of the World Bank, and will be giving field reports "from the ground" via video chat to WB people in Washington.  I'm so official.

Alrighty.  Check back in a few days, yo...I'll let you know how it is down south!

No comments:

Post a Comment