Tuesday, May 24, 2011

All: photos will be in my Picasa web album.

It's too much of a pain to send them all individually to the blogspot site, especially as the internet here is kind of slow.  So, if you want the link, here it is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

I began work yesterday, and it went alright--not spectacular.  I arrived with the new laptop and scanner, along with sundry other office supplies, and Evarist (the head guy) and the other volunteers were MAJORLY excited.  "We were just talking about you!  Oh, welcome, welcome!  You're welcome!  Come in, come in!"  It was a very nice reception, to say the least...Evarist and I met with the Vice Chancellor of MMU (Mountains of the Moon University, the university that is assisting the archive with this project and supporting me), and they were both extremely excited and optimistic about the possibilities that the Kaberole District archives will provide.  They were kind of bummed, however, when I told them I'd only be here for a month; they really want to get workers who are properly trained in archival practices.  I told them I'd do my best to get some UM students out here next year.

I didn't get very far with the work, as I had problems linking the scanner with the laptop.  This obviously prevents me from beginning any digitization work, so I've brought the equipment home and am meeting with a Danish IT guy tomorrow morning to try and correct the problem.  Incredibly frustrating!

In other news:  I ate goat yesterday and had a bite of goat intestine, accidentally--it was very rubbery and--I can't really describe the flavor.  Needless to say, I could tell it was part of the stomach...  Then, I got drenched walking back to the archive (it's the rainy season here), and ended up being rescued by Ciaran, my house mate who thankfully has a car.  Went home and drank tea and watched it rain outside.

I'll describe Fort Portal in my next post--it's a fascinating, beautiful, wonderful, complex place, and I'm really falling in love with it every day (silly, I know, as I've only been here for a few days, but still).

Ciao, y'all!
<3
N

No comments:

Post a Comment