Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In which Natalie realizes that g-nuts are really just Ugandan peanuts.

Fo reelz.  It's taken me so long to figure this out, and I'm not really sure, seeing as I've been eating matooke, posho, sweet potatoes, and g-nut sauce for lunch for the past two weeks.  The g-nut (ground nut) sauce is pretty delicious; they make it with the mashed nuts and eggplant.  Kind of like a blander Thai peanut sauce without the chili fire or lime juice.  Anyway, I just realized the fact that g-nuts = peanuts today and thought it was kind of funny...

Right now I'm music-battling with Felix, who has an unabiding love for U2 and plays them on repeat.  Thankfully, I have a vast music library (however unorganized it may be), and I first pulled out some R. Kelly--Ignition (Remix) to appease his co-worker, Jed, who is staying with us for the next three days.  He countered with Jefferson Airplane--Somebody to Love, which was alright, but then continued with some really, really bad, sappy, easy-listening type romance song.  My move?  Oh, just a little bit of ANDREW W.K.--PARTY HARD ON FULL VOLUME!  Shows him.  Then it was a little Aretha, with Son of a Preacherman, followed by the Beatles' White Album.  I may conclude with a little bit of Temptations--Papa Was a Rolling Stone.

SO, guess who has a chair and desk now?  With only two days left to go in Fort Portal?  That's right--ME!  (Well, as of Monday.)  Two lovely large desks and chairs appeared at the Archive on Friday, although we had to do a big of negotiating with the carpenter in the courtyard of the Kabundaire campus, as the quality was a bit...lacking.  He came on Saturday and fixed some things, so now the drawers can actually be pulled and pushed (not smoothly) and will lock properly.  I've been spending the past three days comfortably situated, then, at a desk--in a chair--cleaning documents with the other guys in the archive.  ROCK!!

This is my last week in FP, folks.  As of today, I've been in Uganda for exactly a month.  And the world didn't end when I got here!!!  (Take that, Harold Camping.)  It's off to Entebbe this Saturday, where I'll be meeting up with Ashley, a UM PhD candidate.  I spoke to Okello, the Director at the National Archive, today, and Ashley and I will begin work bright and early on Monday morning.  Can't wait!  Till then, I'm just hangin' out, eating pizza at the Gluepot, cleaning documents, getting my g-nut and posho on with Adolf at lunch, and trying to introduce Felix to the beautiful intricacies of music outside of U2.

Alright, I'll add more later.  Like, tomorrow, perhaps.  Lots to tell.  I'm just tired right now.

And expect a lot of new pictures this weekend...I'll be staying at a hotel in Entebbe that has FREE WI-FI!  I won't have to conserve my internet usage this weekend :)

Love you all,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment