Sunday, August 7, 2011

You go your way an I go mine

Jack rocks and gave me 2 GB of Bob Dylan the other day, to supplement my already-large Dylan collection, so now I pretty much have the entire Dylan discography.  U jelly?  You should be.  (By the way, Bob's playing a concert in Michigan this weekend ON MY BIRTHDAY...I think this love affair was meant to be)  Anyway, song of the day:  'Most Likely You Go Your Way".

So, I guess I realized that for those of you who haven't been regularly gchatting with me, I probably confused all y'all with references to "Jack" and "Anneeth" and all those people...After leaving Fort Portal nearly--gasp--two months ago, I came to Entebbe and met up with four other UM students, all PhD candidates in the African History program there.  The guy that sort of spearheaded my whole project here, Derek Peterson, is one of their professors and members of (some of) their dissertation committees, so he lured them here with grant money to help out at the Uganda National Archives.  So, we've been here since June 25th working away at the mammoth task of cataloguing the country's entire archive.  Or most of it.

So, we've been here since July 25th (Ashley and I have, at least; the rest have trickled in) and chipping away at the collections.  It's taken a LOT of work to get where we are, but I'm glad to say that we've done a pretty solid job at organizing, cataloguing, cleaning (sort of...more on that later), re-housing, etc. a decent chunk of the collections.  We even, at one point, instituted a "stay till 6 p.m. three days/week, and then come in on saturdays from 9-1" policy...if that tells you how much we've been working...

...and if that tells you why I haven't updated this sucker in so long!

Random:  So Entebbe is on the coast of Lake Victoria, and about five minutes down the road are various beach restaurants.  They get pretty loud on the weekends, and particularly on game days (I think Manchester United is playing today), so right now there is a mix of crowd noise, Ugandan pop/dance music, and vuvuzelas in the background...can be kind of annoying at times, but I also think it's nice in that there is just LIFE going on!  All the time!

Anyway, I (once again) need to cut this short...today is my birthday and we're leaving in an hour and a half to go get dinner.  And, I've got a lot of writing work to do before we leave, sooo...I'll catch y'all on the flip side.

Love love love.
N

No comments:

Post a Comment